LED Lights Can Cause Irreparable Damage to Retina
A new research has come up with findings that so called eco-friendly lights may cause permanent damage to eyes. The study has revealed that exposure to light emitting diode lights can cause irreparable harm to the retina of the human eye.
Think-Spain. com reported that once the retina cells are destroyed by continuous exposure to LED rays for a prolonged period, they cannot be replaced and will not re-grow. The researchers said that the risk has been increased because of the high levels of radiation in the "blue band".
Moreover, they warned that it is highly likely to become a global epidemic as computer, mobiles and TV screens, and even traffic and street lights have been gradually replaced by LED lights.
Experts have called for the lights to have built in filters in order to cut the blue glare. Dr. Celia Sanchez Ramos, investigator at Madrid's Complutense University, said the retina never regenerates itself once it becomes completely damaged.
Ramos said that rainbow longitude waves are used to make LED lights, and it is the blue part that poses risks of permanent damage to retina.
She said that LED is fantastic if there is adequate protection. Also, she said that closing eyes often to soften the impact is a good preventive measure.
United Kingdom News
- William Hill to merge online and retail divisions with Phil Walker in-charge
- BGC impressed by steps taken by UK casinos, disappointed by Government’s response
- Stephen Cohen reappointed as Commissioner of the Gambling Commission
- Online Sports Bettors don’t turn to Online Casinos during absence of sports: Research
- Blueprint Gaming launches Rhino Rampage video slot with new bonus feature concept